1. What are the dates for School Choice Open Enrollment?
April 15 starting at 7:30 am through May 14 ending at 4:30 pm
2. How do I find my child’s school zone?
You may go to the Bay District School website homepage and click on the link for School Zones, or you may ask at your child’s current school.
3. Who is required to fill out a School Choice application? Any parent who:
• moved out of the current school zone this school year but wishes to have his/her child remain at his/her current school
• wants to change his/her child’s school for upcoming school year
• has a child entering kindergarten, sixth, or ninth grade and wishes to attend a school other than the zoned school (any Pre-K students who will be entering Kindergarten must register at their zoned school before completing this application).
4. How do I obtain my child's student ID number?
You may contact your child’s current school to obtain the student ID number. It is also on the child’s report card.
5. What if I do not have computer access?
You may contact your child’s current school for assistance. Internet access is also available at all public libraries.
6. Are School Choice Applications that are submitted during the Open Enrollment period treated equally?
Yes. Students are placed in schools according to the School Board Policy #7.103. All students are placed in their first choice school until it reaches capacity or causes the school to be out of compliance with Federal Consent orders.
7. Is transportation provided to students who are attending an out of zone school?
No. Students attending schools outside their attendance zone must provide their own transportation.
8. What if your address has been rezoned?
You can remain at your present school, however, transportation will not be provided.
9. When will placement letters be mailed notifying parents if choice was granted?
June 13, 2013
10. What do I have to do once my child's application has been approved?
Parents should notify the student's current school staff of school choice approval and contact "choice" school for further registration instuctions.
11. What is required to register in Bay District Schools?
You will need a current Florida immunization record, birth certificate, and provide two docuemts for proof of address. Each student shall, within thirty (30) school days of initial admission to the schools of Bay County, present evidence of a medical examination conducted within the previous twelve (12) months pursuant to law and rules of the State Board of Education.
12. What is considered for the two proofs of address?
• car payment/billing statement
• drivers license
• lease agreement
• recent utility bill that reports where service is provided (i.e. electric, water, telephone, cable, internet)
• rent receipt
• voter’s registration
• insurance payment/billing statement
• W2 Income Tax statement
• verification from the Clerk of the Circuit Court as the address to which child support payments are sent
• property tax record
• recent legal document
• an official Contract to Occupy a Residence within 30 days. However, if that address does not become the student’s official home address within 30 days, the student shall be transferred to his/her zoned school.
13. If I change schools and find that I do not like the "choice" school, can I submit another school choice request?
No. With the exception of changes in residence and the filing of a Choice Application during Open Enrollment, students may have only one (1) change of placement during a school year and such change must meet the requirements of school board policy. Your child does have the option to return to his/her zoned school.
14. If the parent/legal guardian is employed with Bay District Schools, can the employee’s child attend the school where the parent is employed?
Yes. The student is eligible to attend the school where the parent/legal guardian is a full time employee following a school choice request.
15. Can a student’s choice be revoked?
Yes. A student’s choice can be revoked due to nonattendance or for discipline violations.
16. What is the first day of school for the 2013-14 school year?
August 20, 2013