School Health Advisory Council
“An advisory group composed primarily of school, health, and community representatives who act collectively to advise the school district on aspects of child health as defined by the Coordinated School Health (CSH) Model.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
BDS SHAC meets
quarterly and operates under the following Florida Statutes and guidance for
Authority for SHACs:
• Florida Statute 381.0056 References
– Responsibility for developing a school health services plan
– School health services plan content
– Advisory Committee involvement in policies
– Advisory Committee membership
• 64F-6.002 Florida Administrative Code (FAC)
– Clarification of additional plan content
381.0056 F.S., Section (5a)
county health department shall develop, jointly with the district school board
and the local school health advisory committee, a school health services plan;
and the plan shall include, at a minimum, provisions for:
preventive dental program.
and developmental screening.
Referral and follow up.
Meeting emergency health needs.
Consultation with parent or guardian.
Services/information for ESE placement.
Private school involvement.